Sunday, October 18, 2009

Michelle's First Week

I am enjoying my stay at my first host family's home, Hiroichiro & Emiko. They are very kind and hospitable. The first evening they took me to a local festival and we saw fireworks. The fireworks were fantastic, like Rhythm and Booms - choreographed to music. At one point they played the song Bingo (you know, there was a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name-O, B-I-N-G-O...) and they played bingo with fireworks. Depending on the firework that was shot off you would mark it on your card. It was fun! I also got to sample many different Japanese festival foods.

The family owns a shrine and the father is a priest. They live onsite and that is where I am staying. Their business website is http://habujinja.or.jp/. They have 3 daughters and I have met two. Their middle daughter, Sakiko, is pictured with her husband, two sons and two nephews. She speaks english very well. There is another photo I will upload later with more of us pictured. Hiroichiro & Emiko's youngest daughter is Mikiko, who is married to Keiji and has 3 sons: Haru, Sumi and baby Mio. Keiji works at the temple and also speaks some english; he helped me with the pronunciation of my presentation.

On the morning after I arrived, Haru and Sumi (picutred above with Badger hats on) greeted me with "Good Morning". It was very sweet! Mikiko and Keiji had taught them.

This morning was the first bit of excitement. I woke at 5 am to the view of a giant centipede on the shade of my room! I woke my host mother and she sprayed it. Wish I had thought to take a picture when I first saw it. Hopefully I won't have another opportunity though.

Today we depart for a tour of Katori and Sawara. At noon we will present at the Sawara Rotary meeting. This will be our first presentation. Wish us luck!

Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment